I have been watching the Great British Bake Off series the past couple of months. I loved every episode, even bought the book and some of the recipes have given me ideas for my beloved blog (Recipes to follow).
The winner was announced this week, I was very pleased that my favourite contestant won (Spoiler alert!) it was Jo. To celebrate the end of a mouth watering series I have adapted Mary’s chocolate velvet cupcakes this weekend. For topping I made orange flavoured icing.
Ingredients for the chocolate velvet cupcakes:
- 175ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g of dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 150g sifted self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- to make your cupcakes American red add a few drops of red food colouring
Ingredients for the orange flavoured icing:
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 50g light soft cheese spread
- 1 teaspoon of milk
- zest of 1 medium orange
- 260g of sifted icing sugar
Method for the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Put paper cupcake cases on your cupcake tray
- Pour the milk into a medium sized non-stick pan. Chop the chocolate and add it to the pan with one-third of the caster sugar. Leave it until the chocolate is melted on a low heat. Stir frequently. Once the chocolate is melted remove from the heat.
- In a bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer, its much quicker but a wooden spoon can also be used. Beat until the butter is nice and creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and the sugar, beat thoroughly for around 4-5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Quickly beat the egg in a separate bowl and gradually add it to the mixture. Beating well after each addition.
- Mix the baking powder with the flour. Gradually add the flour and the chocolate liquid, fold the mixture using a metal spoon.
- To make the cupcakes a red colour add a few drops of red food colouring.
- Mix the mixture well, when completely amalgamated spoon the mixture to the cupcake cases.
- Bake for around 18-20 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen / the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the baking tray for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the cupcakes to the cooling tray.
Method for the orange flavoured icing:
- In a bowl beat the butter until nice and creamy.
- Add the light cheese spread and beat the mixture.
- Gradually add the sifted icing sugar and mix well after each addition.
- Finally add the zest of an orange and mix well.
- Pipe or spoon the icing on top of the cupcakes
- I have added a strawberry flavoured sweet for decoration
Enjoy the Yumminess!