Today I made Lemon and Poppy Seed cake, it was really light, fluffy and delicious.
Ingredients for the lemon and poppy seed cake:
- 85g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- 15g poppy seeds
- 245g caster sugar
- 165ml of milk
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 235g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 egg whites
Method for the lemon and poppy seed Recipe:
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/ Gas Mark 3.
- Grease the cake tin with butter and dust with flour
- Beat together the butter, poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Add the caster sugar and beat well.
- Slowly add the milk in stages, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together.
- Add this to the mixture in stages, beating well after each addition.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl until they form sift peaks. Or when you turn the bowl upside down they don’t move (if you are brave try this over your head)
- Fold this gently to the mixture. Don’t beat it or you will lose the air that makes the cake light and fluffy.
- Add the mixture to the cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- When baked, remove from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
One last tip! Since moving to London recently, I’ve started to order a lot of my ingredients online as I’ve ditched the car! One of the websites I have used is milk&more as they have lots of everyday essentials such as dairy products, drinks, bread and even milk&more pet food. They even have free delivery early in the morning!
More information on their Dairy products: