I have always had a big love for carrot cake and everytime I see a nice piece I can never resist. However, yesterday I fancied a change so I adapted my own carrot cake recipe and made a delicious Courgette Cake!
Ingredients for my version of courgette cake:
- 125g of self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 125g brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 125g or 1 medium courgette, grated
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 25g of walnuts, crushed
Ingredients for the icing:
- 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 50g of light soft cheese
- 240g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a square cake tin with butter then dust the tin with flour. Line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, ground cinnamon and salt into a large bowl and stir in the brown sugar. Add the eggs and oil to the bowl and mix well.
- Stir the grated courgette, crushed walnuts and desiccated coconut.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. I would advise not to open the oven for the first 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes check the mixture, if the skewer comes out clean is ready if not, cook for a few more minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a about 5 minutes then move to the cooling rack
- While the cake is cooling is time to make the icing. Beat together the butter, soft cheese, icing sugar (add small quantities at a time or you and your kitchen will be covered in icing sugar dust) and lemon juice in a bowl until the mixture is fluffy and creamy
- Mix well then add the zest of a lemon. Mix a few more minutes.
- Cut the cake into slices
- Spread the icing and decorate. I decorated half of the squares with chopped walnuts and the other half I grated dark chocolate on top of the icing.