First of all sorry for the long due blog post.
This weekend I made a carrot cake (with real carrots), I have to explain this one. My boyfriend didn’t realise carrot cake actually had carrots until this weekend, which I have to say I found hilarious and have been making fun of him ever since.
Ingredients for my Carrot Cake Recipe:
- 225g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 225g of light brown sugar
- 100g chopped walnuts
- 175g grated carrots
- 4 eggs
- 200g of self-raising flower, sifted
- half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Ingredients for the orange icing:
- zest of an orange
- 75g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 75g cream cheese
- 260g icing sugar, sifted
Method for the Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a cake tin with butter then dust with flour.
- In a bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat the eggs and add a little bit at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the cinnamon to the mixture
- Sift the flour and add in 3 parts to the mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- In another bowl mix the grated carrots and chopped walnuts together and stir this through the carrot cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture to the cake tin and bake for around 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once is baked, leave in the cake tin for 10 minutes. Leave it to cool before icing.
Method for the orange icing:
- Beat the butter in a bowl until creamy.
- Add the cream cheese and mix well.
- Sift the icing sugar and add small quantities at a time to the bowl.
- Mix in the zest of the orange.
- Ice the cake and enjoy!