This is probably the most well known cake in Portugal, one of the main reasons is because it’s so easy to make.
Bolo de Iogurte is perfect as part of a weekend continental breakfast (which I have to say is my favourite kind of breakfast) or just a snack. Its a no fuss, no icing cake. Just moist and soft.
Ingredients for the Yoghurt cake:
- 2 x 125g yoghurt (use your favourite flavour, I used raspberry)
- 3 x cups of flour
- 3 x cups of sugar
- 1 x cup of vegetable oil
- 1 x teaspoon of baking power
- 5 eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease a cake tin with butter then dust it with flour. I have used a cake tin that is used in Portugal, for some reason Portuguese cakes always have a whole in the middle.
- Add the eggs and the yoghurt into a large bowl. Save one of the yoghurt pots as this will be used for your measures.
- Add the baking powder, the 3 yoghurt pot measures of flour, sugar and one yoghurt pot measure of oil to the bowl.
- Beat well, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture appears soft and starts to bubble
- Pour the mixture into the tin
- Bake for about 35-40minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.