My little sisters love my cookies, I normally make my double chocolate cookies but to change things a little I decided to modify the recipe and do chocolate chip and orange. They loved the new cookies so now every time I take the trip to the sunny Midlands to see them I have to take a batch of each recipe.
This recipe is really easy to make, perfect to make with children as they can get their hands dirty or if you are just getting into baking.
Ingredients for the chocolate chip and orange cookies:
- 125g of butter, softened
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 185g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 225g self-raising flour
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 200g of milk chocolate chunks
Method for the chocolate cookies recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until its nice and creamy.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg and vanilla. Add to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Sift in the flour and salt.
- Add the Orange Zest to the mixture.
- Next add the golden syrup and mix well
- Finally the chocolate chip chunks goes in the bowl. Make sure the mixture is well combined.
- Place baking paper on top of a baking tray.
- Roll the mixture into walnut size balls for a homemade look, or roll into a long sausage shape and slice to make neater looking cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for 1 minute before moving to the cooling rack.